Martes, Agosto 9, 2011

A Must: Cooperative Learning in Computer Integrated Class


As the old adage says that “No man is an island” so is my conviction that no student can learn without others. Thus, cooperative learning strategies help students work together specially when integrated with technology.

Sharing one keyboard, one mouse, and one screen is one common scenario in computer classes or computer laboratories here in the Philippines. Reality could never be hidden that schools lack of the appropriate number of computers in the classroom. However, I believe that this disadvantage can be turned into an advantage one when cooperative learning with the computer approach is observed.

Personally I like this kind of approach where I could be in a group. When I work together with my peers, it enables me to experience better acquisition, retention and integration of the lesson. Cooperative learning really promotes self-esteem, positive peer to peer relationships and offers a lighter ambiance especially when it comes to technology lessons. In dealing with technology, we students often need each other's help. Computers can generate a lot of excitement especially to those who find it easy to manipulate it. But as future educators, I guess it would be best if we consider those who find computer, software and program very difficult to deal with. It would surely bring about some anxiety among the students and cooperative learning is the answer to that problem.


1 komento: